Friday, January 15, 2010

hit by a bus

I don't mean that metaphorically-- I really was hit by a bus this morning. A few minutes after 9, I was late for a meeting in Cambridge, and right across the street from my destination I entered the crosswalk (I did have a walk signal) and suddenly there was a bus in my face. I don't know how I didn't see it until it was right there, but I was focused on getting to my meeting and listening to my iPod and I was supposed to be in that crosswalk...

It was one of those very long moments-- I saw the bus about a foot away from my face, she saw me through the glass of the bus door, but it was too late for either one of us to do anything. I was hit at about the front door and apparently went flying and smacked my head on the ground. I think there is a second I don't remember because I don't really remember hitting my head, but a witness says I did. I just remember both my shoes flying off and being on the ground and then struggling to my feet and looking for my shoes.

Besides some scrapes and bruises on my hands and being a little sore on the side of my body where I hit the ground, I am fine. My wedding ring is scratched and dinged where it also hit the ground but I'm sure that can be fixed. I do feel plenty sober about what could have happened-- it could have been so much worse.

The main witness was a woman who works at the hotel across the street where I was headed for my meeting, and she said that there have been a lot of accidents in that crosswalk just like mine, some of them serious. Apparently the bus had a green light (it was making a turn) at the same time that I had the walk sign. This stuns me-- no wonder they have accidents.

I am just so, so glad it wasn't worse. That I glanced off the side of the bus rather than being hit on the front, or ending up under the wheel. By the grace of God.

No comments: