Wednesday, November 25, 2009

giving thanks

Someone in my life is involved in a network of addicts and former addicts, and I hear their stories from time to time. Many happy stories, but also some that will break your heart. One particular man has been hitting rock bottom again and again in the last few months. This man seems to have come to know Jesus, but yet the addiction kept reaching out of his past to grab him, to hurtle him (literally stark raving mad, a man who no longer knows his own name) into disaster and danger of every kind. It is a miracle he is still alive. He has lost his family, career, everything. He feels abandoned by God, wonders why coming to God hasn't broken his addiction. I too wonder where God is in this story. My friend is not a believer, and I keep thinking about what kind of witness this is to him, what kind of God he is seeing in this story, as this man's faith doesn't seem to be able to save him. I have wanted to believe that this man's horrible experience is just a longer, more round-about road to a greater miracle and a greater witness-- but lately, it hasn't been looking that way.

But just now I got an email from my friend that this man has now been clean for 6 weeks. I cried when I read it. He seems to be returning to his right mind, and picking up the pieces. Maybe his miracle finally has arrived.

Would you pray for this man, that this time his health and sanity would be truly restored to him, permanently? And as we gather tomorrow to celebrate our abundance of blessings, let's remember to pray for those whose lives are in crisis, and who need a miracle.

No comments: