Friday, July 17, 2009

Foodie Friday: Curried Zucchini Soup

I got this wonderful recipe from my mom, but have tweaked it to make it a little lighter. The original recipe called for 1/3 c. of butter and shallots, which I'm sure make a more elegant and rich soup, but my goal is to get a healthy soup that I can make with the ingredients in my fridge and eat for lunch. This has been my go-to lunch the last couple weeks-- it takes virtually no time to make, and I don't even have to heat it up. Plus it's about a hundred calories a cup but tastes totally rich and satisfying.

Curried Zucchini Soup

2 lbs zucchini, sliced
about 1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 T. butter
2-3 t. cumin
2-3 t. curry powder
2-3 cups chicken broth
2 cups whole yogurt
salt and pepper to taste

Saute zucchini and onion in butter for a minute or two (you don't want them to brown), then cover and "sweat" for about 20 minutes until tender, stirring once in a while. Basically you want them to steam in their own juices.

Add cumin and curry powder and stir for another minute or two. The amount depends on how strong your spices are, how spicy you want your soup, and if you are going to serve it warm or cold (you need more if serving it cold since flavors are deadened a little).

Add chicken broth (more or less depending on how thick you want the final soup). Puree. (I use a hand blender, which is super easy as you leave the soup in the pot. You could also pour it into a regular blender though you would probably have to do it in a couple batches.)

Whisk in yogurt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve hot or cold. Makes about 6 cups.

No comments: