Saturday, April 11, 2009

Foodie Friday: Caramelized Black Pepper Chicken

Yes, this is a day late. Actually, it is weeks late-- that's how long I've been meaning to post it! But this is actually our first weekend at home in over a month. Life has been crazy. And I haven't been cooking much lately. Yesterday I finally sat down to plan recipes for the next several weeks (I do it on Google calendar-- if anyone wants to view it let me know), and added this recipe back to the rotation because I think we could eat it about every day. 

J has been working on ranking his Top 5 recipes since we got married. This recipe was practically a metaphysical experience for him-- it shot to #2 immediately (right behind a basic roast chicken, which I think might be my favorite meal ever too, at least on Sunday afternoon). Lucky for me both #1 and #2 take about 15 minutes of total work. So here it is, a yummy sweet/salty/spicy Vietnamese superstar of a recipe:

Caramelized Black Pepper Chicken (with thanks to Food and Wine, who got it from chef Charles Phan)

1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/4 c. fish sauce (nam pla)-- if you're not familiar with it, this it the SE Asian version of soy sauce, and you can buy a big bottle of it dirt cheap at any Asian market
1/4 c. water
3 T. rice vinegar (another cheap SE Asian staple)
1 t. minced garlic
1 t. freshly grated ginger
1 t. coarsely ground black pepper (preferably freshly ground)
2 fresh Thai chilies (small red or green chilies), halved, or 2 dried red chilies
Stir together.

1 T. oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced (confession: as shallots are typically expensive I hardly ever buy them, and just substitute a small onion)
Heat oil in large skillet and saute shallot or onion over moderate heat until softened, about 4 min.

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces (thighs are so much moister than breasts-- but then J and I don't understand why anyone would choose white meat over dark)
Add chicken and fish sauce mixture to skillet and simmer 10 min, or until chicken is cooked through. 

Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve over steamed rice. 

Serves 4.






1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Hey, can I get hooked in to your Google calendar? I would love to see your menus... mmmm, might inspire me. :)