Sunday, February 17, 2008

2000 kilograms of maize

I just got the following letter from the leader of the Uganda orphans group, and I am so delighted:

On behalf of my of my fellow members Iam happy to inform you that we were able to harvest two thousand fifty kilograms (2050 kilograms) of maize from the land we bought. We sold off Two thousand kilograms (2000 kilograms) totaling up to five hundred thousand shillings (shillings 500,000/=) .we as members contributed Twenty thousand shillings each (20,000/=) making total of three hundred thousand shillings (360,000/=).
When we added it to the money collected from the money we got from maize it totaled up to Eight hundred sixty thousand shillings only (860,000/=)
After that collection, we decided to construct an office to be able to conduct meetings and training our orphans in modern farming methods. We will also be able to have bible studies from this office. The office we used to have has been costing us so highly. But, this money is not enough to push us through the whole job, we have therefore, bought some of the building materials as below


Cement 6 bags
265,000/=
Bricks 4100 bricks 225,000/=
Poles 20 poles 50,000/=
Sand 3 Trips 15,000/=
Window 1 40,000/=
Door 1 50,000/=
Nails 3kgs 15,000/=
Labours 1 200,000/=
TOTAL 860,000/=
We kindly request you and your friends, members to help us accomplish the constructions we are on by proving the remaining material.
The following are the estimated material we request you to help us into

1. Iron sheets 12 240,000/=
2. Furniture 160,000/=
3. Paints 1 Jerrycan 40,000/=
Total 440,000/=

In case, we get the assistance from you we hope to finish the job in March 2008.
We are energy hoping for more fruits after the a completion of the office because we will be able to train our orphans
We will be pleased if our request is put into consideration. Pictures showing the office will be sent after we have fully done on it

We wish you and all happy Easter days
Yours! James

4 comments:

Krista said...

I'm sure you've done the math/conversion... but they are requesting $250 to finish their project and they only started with $500. Wow. So easy to think of that as almost pocket change here in America yet for them it represents almost an unheard of amount of money...

Allison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allison said...

Yeah... can you imagine all that work for 5000 lbs of maize (2000 kg, not 2000 lbs as I had said in the original title-- I thought that was going to be the math you were going to comment on!) :) And then they are paid only about $300 for it. The amazing thing to me is that each of the group members committed over $10 of their own money, which is serious money for them.

Anonymous said...

Hiya, Allison--Wendy J. of the Corvallis church here. I love your melted-cheese-day post almost as much as your happy news from Africa. On the Africa note, first, the sender seems wise about multiple uses for the facility, and careful about the costs--a solid focused person to work with. Your mom sends on this good news for us from time to time, and especially since Ron and I gave a mite to your Africa work, I'm thrilled to hear this, too. On Valentine's Day and cheese--well, I'm from Wisconsin, still melting lovely skinny slices of WI cheddar (bought at Christmas back there) over tomato on bagels for supper. So I'm with you. Many blessings to you and Joel. You're in my heart. Wendy